WIDA Standards Implementation
Academic Research Connections
WHAT IS WIDA? WILL WIDA IMPACT HOW I TEACH?
WIDA is an acronym for World Class Instructional Design and Assessment Consortium (WIDA). WIDA is a consortium of states dedicated to the design and implementation of high standards and equitable educational opportunities for English Language Learners (ELL).
What States Are Participating in WIDA?
The following states in the Intermountain West are participating in WIDA – Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado. Currently 36 states are in the WIDA consortium.
Beginning in the 2015-16 school year, Idaho became a full member of the WIDA Consortium. The 2015-16 school year will be the first year that Idaho will administer WIDA’s English Proficiency Assessment and the ACCESS 2.0, which will become Idaho’s English Language Assessment.
The WHAT IS WIDA? WILL WIDA IMPACT HOW I TEACH? course has been designed to provide educators with the content knowledge and resource tools needed to use the WIDA Standards. The course is a 1 credit self paced, independent study from Northwest Nazarene University.
Download the PDF Brochure for additional details
CLICK ON THE CURRICULUM BUTTON TO OBTAIN COURSE MATERIALS
Course Educational Goal
The goal of this self-paced, independent study course is to provide educators with the resource tools needed to use the WIDA Standards that demonstrate equitable access to the content areas and the Idaho Core Standards. Educators will gain a greater knowledge using the language acquisition process and factors that impact a student’s language development. Educators will exam various resources that will assist them in the implementation and integration of the WIDA Standards.
- Enhance the Educators knowledge of the mission, vision, values and assessment value of the World Class Instructional Design and Assessment Consortium (WIDA) .
- Explore the WIDA Standards and how they are aligned to academic content areas and the Common Core State Standards.
- Engage in the WIDA CAN DO Booklets and understand the guiding principles, philosophy, standards framework and the theoretical foundation.
- Review resources that assist in the implementation and integration of the WIDA Standards.
- Identify the proficiency assessment purpose and the use of ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 for Grades K-12.